Friday, May 6, 2011

Weekly Menu Plan

So I realized this past weekend, as I enjoyed some of my daughters' left over Easter candy,  that we only have two weeks until we go on our beach vacation!  This morning, I got on the scale and have gained back almost half of the weight that I lost just a month ago.  This sent me into panic mode! So, for the next three weeks I won't be having a weekly meal plan.  Unless anyone is interested in seeing salad for dinner each night!  Luckily, my hubby is getting back on the wagon with me.  The girls usually eat whatever protein I make for our salads and veggies.  I just didn't want to bore anyone with the details of our diet!  Instead, I am going to post about some of the new recipes that I have made over the past few weeks.  I have taken lots of pictures, but have never posted about the recipes them selves.  First up:

Slow Cooker Pork Carnita Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce





These are really yummy and super easy!   You have to brown the pork before you put it into the slow cooker.  This is a big thumbs down for me, who feels like browning pork at 7 in the morning?  Anyway, I managed to suffer through it, poor me, and ended up with these.  Now, they came from a Cooking Light cookbook so they are supposed to be light.  However, notice that I have added cheese and sour cream, not so light.  Any wonder how I put the weight back on???  I would really recommend this recipe.  In fact, the chimichurri sauce is so good, I could drink it.  Well, almost!

Slow-cooker Pork Carnita Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce
from Cooking Light

1 (1 1/2 lb.) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
8 Garlic Cloves, minced
Cooking spray
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1/2 Cup Water
12 (6 in) corn tortillas (personal choice here- I prefer the corn, Mike the flour)
Chimichurri Sauce
Sour Cream (optional)
Low Fat Cheese (Optional)
Salsa (optional)
Guacamole would be good as well!

1.  Rub pork with salt, pepper, and garlic.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add pork; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Transfer pork to a 5-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray.  Add stock to pan, scraping brown bits loose; cook 2 minutes.  Pour stock mixture over pork; add water.  Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until tender.
2.  Remove pork from slow cooker, and place in a medium bowl.  Pour stock mixture into a medium skillet.  Bring to a boil over high heat; cook 5 minutes or until reduced to 2/3 cup.
3.  While broth reduces, shred pork using 2 forks.  Stir in broth reduction.
4.  Warm tortillas according to package directions.  

I set up a serve yourself bar at this point with all of the accompaniments.  Including:

Chimichurri Sauce:

3 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Cup Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley Leaves
1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
3 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano Leaves
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
3 Small Shallots, peeled and quartered

1.  With food processor on, drop garlic through food chute;  process until minced.  Add parsley and remaining ingredients; pulse 8 times or until finely chopped, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment