Saturday, January 7, 2012

Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

I love this recipe for many reasons:  First of all it uses asparagus.  Second the name is an alliteration.  And third, it has bacon.  Funnily enough, I made two recipes this week with the word addictive in the titles,  the other involved Brussels Sprouts.  Go figure! Not sure about addictive, but delicious non the less.  This recipe is super easy, and quick.  Plus, if you have kiddos,  you can just give them a few pieces of the asparagus without all of the "stuff" that is in the sauce, but the adults will feel like they are eating a fancy pants side dish.  Everyone wins!    

This recipe is an "adaptation" of one that I found in my new cookbook, The Food 52 Cookbook.  Check out the blog: Food 52 Blog,  they have great ideas.  I am not sure how to define adaptation.  To me it means that I have added or omitted at least one ingredient.  Not sure, I hope I am not infringing anyone's rights by saying that I have adapted it when in actuality I have only stolen it and added something.  Either way, I gave credit where credit was due.  Here is the recipe: 

Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 pund asparagus, woody ends trimmed, sliced into 2 inch pieces on the bias
1 1/4 Cup thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 or 2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and Black pepper to taste

In a large non-stick pan, sauté the bacon over medium heat until cooked.  Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain and remove all but 1 Tbsp fat.

Add butter to pan and melt.  Add asparagus and leeks and sauté until asparagus is crisp-tender, 3 or 4 minutes.

Add garlic, lemon juice, pine nuts, and parsley and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.  



No comments:

Post a Comment