Friday, March 25, 2011

Mini Veggie Frittatas

This morning, I got the privilege of participating in Life Journey Day with my MOPS group.  What a blessing it was!  We heard an awesome speaker, who told her story about adopting her daughter from Ethiopia.  We also got to share with the women at our table.  We were able to share the stories about God working in our lives.  It was so nice to be able to get to know these women better.

I have lots of pictures, but wanted to share this recipe.  I wanted a recipe that would be good warm or room temperature.  These tasted good at room temp.  but are definitely better hot!  They are adapted from this (click on this, not this this, that this; the underlined one.) recipe from Martha.





Mini Frittatas


1 medium zucchini
6-8 white mushrooms
1 red bell pepper


Cut the zucchini in quarters and slice thinly.  Slice mushrooms thinly.  Core and seed bell pepper and cut into a small dice.  I usually cut the top and bottom off, remove the seeds, cut the pepper into strips and then dice.  I tend to get the most even little pieces that way.


In another large bowl, mix 16 large eggs;


OK, so this is the point in the post where I have to fess up.  I decided to cut the fat content, so these are the "eggs" that I used:


Now, I am fairly sure that no one would have said to me "Gee Amy, this really doesn't taste like real eggs", but everyone raved about these.  So, I think my secret was safe.  I used the equivalent of 16 eggs. 

I then added: 
1 Tablespoon Minced onion, 
2 teaspoons salt, 
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 
1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder (the real thing doesn't work here- too lumpy)
1 Tablespoon chopped chives



I love chives and I love my Cutco scissors!  But the Cutco scissors rant is for another post!  I do think, though, that scissors are the way to go for many a kitchen task.  Especially "chopping" chives.


I whisked all of the wet ingredients together and set them aside.  I then put some of the veggie mixture into the bottom of the Pam sprayed mini muffin tins.   

  I filled the tins about 1/2 full with the veggies.  Then I ladled in the egg mixture, filling them almost to the top.  Some got filled past the top! 


Then I grated some Gruyere.  This probably should have been done before I started, but I am not the most prepared of chef's.


Then I sprinkled a little bit on each frittata.  


You could use any cheese here, you could use any veggies for that matter.  I just went with what was in the recipe.  Next time I may try some asparagus.  I love asparagus.......  The frittatas went into a 400 oven for 15 minutes and then:


Not sure why, but this picture is terrible!  They looked much better than this in person.  And tasted yummy!  I also made some in larger muffin tins.  They turned out great as well.  They would be good for   parties when you didn't have as many food choices.  I would highly recommend these.  You could even make them the night before and reheat at 325 in the morning.  The hardest part of this recipe is the chopping!


Mini Frittatas- adapted from Martha Stewart

1 medium zucchini
6-8 white mushrooms
1 large red bell pepper
16 large eggs (or egg replacer.  I wouldn't use just egg whites though)
1 Tablespoon Minced onion 
2 teaspoons salt 
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder (the real thing doesn't work here- too lumpy)
1 Tablespoon chopped chives
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
Vegetable Oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400.
Lightly spray two 24 mini muffin tins with spray.  Slice zucchini into quarters and slice thinly.  Slice mushrooms thinly.  Core and seed bell pepper.  Chop into 1/8 in. dice.   Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, worchestershire, mustard, garlic powder, and chives.  Set aside.  Arrange veggie mixture in each tin.  Ladle egg mixture into each tin, just even with the rim, and sprinkle with cheese.

Transfer to oven, an bake until frittatas are set, 8 to 10 minutes.  Serve warm or reheat briefly at 325.

Makes 48 mini muffins









No comments:

Post a Comment